Due to an increase in incidents involving Lithium Battery fires in Passaic County and surrounding areas the Totowa Marshal’s Officereminds our residents to always follow manufacturer's instructions for charging devices that are battery powered.
1. Do not overcharge. Remove device from charger when fully charged.
2. Do not subject device to heat or direct sunlight. Keep batteries at room temperature.
3. Store batteries away from anything that can catch fire.
4. Never use a device that has damaged batteries.
5. Dispose of batteries properly. Recycling is always the best option. Do not dispose of in household garbage.
6. Stop using the battery if you notice these problems: odor, change in color, too much heat, change in shape, leaking, odd noises. If it safe to do so, move the device away from anything that can catch fire. CALL 911